You want employees to have fun at the company party — just not too much.
Employers have a liability when serving alcohol at the company party. Help manage employee safety and reduce your risks by following these tips.
1. Check your insurance coverage for exclusions for alcohol.
2. Hire a professional bartender who is trained to limit harm and liability, and make plenty of food available.
3. Offer taxi service or reduce hotel rates for those who imbibe.
4. Provide each guest with a set number of drink tickets, and also offer fun non-alcoholic drink options.
5. Consider hosting the party on a weeknight to help slow alcohol intake.
6. Designate someone from the company to monitor the party for abuse.
7. Tell employees they will be expected to drink responsibly.
8. Prep supervisors and managers to ensure they don’t facilitate excessive drinking by handing out extra drink tickets, serving from a flask, etc.
9. Manage increased potential for harassment due to lowered inhibitions. No mistletoe!
10. Make it clear to employees that attendance is voluntary.